The Queen’s Theatre, 1951


Project Overview

A visualisation of the Queen’s Theatre will be created, building on previous work carried out by postgraduate research students in Digital Humanities at Trinity College Dublin. The Queen’s Theatre, Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street), in the 1909-1951 period, was known as a rather modest venue for light entertainment with an emphasis on home-grown pantomime and variety turns. When, in 1951, the old Abbey Theatre became unusable following fire, the Abbey Company took over the Queen’s pending the creation, in 1966, of a new purpose-built stage for the National Theatre. Following the departure of the Abbey Company, the Queen’s Theatre fell into disuse and was completely demolished three years later in 1969.

The Queen's Theatre, Dublin

The Queen's & Holloway's Diaries

 


FP7The project is supported by the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Union: LAPITH (Locating and      Performing Irish Theatre Histories)